[mythtv-users] Way out idea on watching same thing in multiplerooms

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Jan 5 20:00:06 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 12:44 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
>> I feel we have established the latency concerns are real and of no
>> significance to this mode of operation.
>
> Latency is absolutely a significant issue. When it is on the order of
> 50-500ms, it will cause a horribly annoying echo at any frontends that are
> within earshot of each other.
>
> If we take 50 ms as the threshold, ethernet will be more than OK, but
> wireless will be a problem.

The solution then is to make sure that every host is uniformly late.

In other words, if the hosts have a clock which is well synchronized
via NTP, and commands that specify at precisely what time specific
sounds/video are supposed to be presented, then the goal of the
network is to make sure that buffers are full so that the data is
available for playing when the time arises and any amount of network
jitter becomes irrelevant.

Eric