[mythtv-users] Broadcom CrystalHD??

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 23:08:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Scott D. Davilla <davilla at 4pi.com> wrote:
> >> Are we going to see support for this hardware based decoder chip in
> >> MythTV?
> >> I haven't dabbled in it, but it sure appears that XBMC has started using
> >> it:
> >>

> http://dingleberry.me/2009/11/compile-xbmc-with-broadcom-crystalhd-support-o
> >> n-linux/
> >>
> >> And they are enjoying 1080p playback on a measly 1 GHz processor (that I
> >> believe is seriously nerfed...).
> >

> > http://xbmc.org/davilla/2009/12/29/broadcom-crystal-hd-its-magic/
> >
> > game on :)

This is awesome! And I was going to ask how much such a device cost until I
saw the little blurb at the bottom with a link! $69 for full 1080p? On a
device that will fit in an AppleTV as well as a Mac Mini that I can get on
ebay for under $300? Count me in!

Glad to hear that Myth support is upcoming, I'm no code warrior but I'd love
to help in testing any way that I can, maybe I'll pick one up and shoehorn
it into an iMac that a friend isn't using ;-). I know a guy who knows a guy
who's related to a beta tester for the latest Boxee pre-release so I'm sure
they'd like some feedback as well.

What's the support like with 3D games and desktop candy like Aero / Beryl /
Aqua etc? I'm 95% concerned with the HTPC potential and I know that this
device is in its infancy but I'm wondering what the day-to-day experience is
like.