[mythtv-users] Broadcom CrystalHD??

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 23:17:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com>wrote:

>> using
>> >>

>> http://dingleberry.me/2009/11/compile-xbmc-with-broadcom-crystalhd-support-o

>> > http://xbmc.org/davilla/2009/12/29/broadcom-crystal-hd-its-magic/
>> >
>> > game on :)
>>

> This is awesome! And I was going to ask how much such a device cost until I
> saw the little blurb at the bottom with a link! $69 for full 1080p? On a
> device that will fit in an AppleTV as well as a Mac Mini that I can get on
> ebay for under $300? Count me in!
>
> Glad to hear that Myth support is upcoming, I'm no code warrior but I'd
> love to help in testing any way that I can, maybe I'll pick one up and
> shoehorn it into an iMac that a friend isn't using ;-). I know a guy who
> knows a guy who's related to a beta tester for the latest Boxee pre-release
> so I'm sure they'd like some feedback as well.
>
> What's the support like with 3D games and desktop candy like Aero / Beryl /
> Aqua etc? I'm 95% concerned with the HTPC potential and I know that this
> device is in its infancy but I'm wondering what the day-to-day experience is
> like.

One more thing, and I'm sorry if I sound like a spam-bot but I'm really
excited about the prospects of this thing. It looks like these PCI-e devices
are under $22 on Ebay! And the Apple TVs are hovering around $100 or so.
Holy crap! The dream of a compact 1080p-capable silent frontend with a built
in remote receiver for under $150 might finally be a reality! Maybe I'm
getting ahead of myself - I remember reading somewhere that the AppleTV ir
receiver was proprietary - But big deal, I can just attach a Streamzap USB
receiver to the box and call it a day!

I wonder what the specs for the $200 Boxee box are going to be. They're
going to have to hit a homerun to compete with this!