[mythtv-users] Broadcom CrystalHD??

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jan 5 23:33:24 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 05 January 2010 04:20:43 pm Matt Emmott wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > You are aware that you can buy a brand new Revo for $199? cheaper than a
> > Mini,
> > and it has a warranty.
> >
> > Certainly cheaper than $300 plus $69.
> >
> > Having said that, my CrystalHD unit was shipped to me today :-)
>
> Sure but the Revo is an Atom, right? The original Intel Mini is a core duo
> and is powerful enough to be a combined backend and frontend, although the
> 5400RPM drive is on the slow side. I've read posts from people running
>  Atoms as backends but considering that commflagging 1080i on my dual-core
>  2.66 Pentium nails the CPU I'm thinking the overall experience would be a
>  bit lacking.

True, I wouldn't suggest a Revo as a backend, and I'd seriously consider
netbooting it and eliminating the notebook drive.

Perhaps I missed something in this long thread, but I thought we were talking
about a frontend device.

IMHO the Mini lacks the space for enough drives to be a backend, but of course
you could use a separate fileserver on the network, or external drives.

But that's the great thing about Linux-based Myth systems, so many options it
makes my head hurt.

Right now a Revo looks like the best bang for the buck for an HD-capable
frontend, as far as new hardware goes.