[mythtv-users] Frontend segmentation fault

emarkert at aim.com emarkert at aim.com
Wed Jan 6 16:28:06 UTC 2010

I'm running Mythtv on Debian based Simply Mepis 8.  Myth has been running like a champ up until yesterday when I applied the latest upgrades that showed up in the Debian multimedia repository.

I applied the upgrades, ran the setup which updated the DB schema (MySQL 5) and then tried mythfrontend.  Nothing but a segmentation fault.  I tried a number of different fixes that I found online and could not get rid of this segmentation fault error.  Finally, out of desperation, I simply did a complete removal and install of the entire myth system.  This finally fixed the problem of the segmentation fault, and all seemed well.

This morning, however, I encountered the same segmentation fault error with the frontend.  Enabling -v all on the frontend doesn't produce appear to produce any useful information that points to the source of this error.

The last msg produced is (I've replaced the hostname with <hostname>):

2010-01-06 11:13:46.350 MSqlQuery::exec() "DELETE FROM inuseprograms WHERE hostname = <hostname> and recusage = 'player' ;"
Segmentation fault

After this problem cropped up again this morning, I noticed another round of fixes available from the Debian multimedia repo.  I applied them, but the seg fault still occurs with the frontend, BTW, the backend appears to be functioning normally - in fact, it's been recording scheduled shows that I can watch from my PS3.

I don't want to do a complete removal and install again because it is a bit of a pain getting things back to where I want, plus I usually end up losing my recorded shows and schedule.

I have a PVR 150 installed.  Here's the output from mythfrontend --version

MythTV Version   : Unknown
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-22-fixes
Network Protocol : 50
Library API      : 0.22.20091023-1
QT Version       : 4.4.3
Options compiled in:
 linux release using_oss using_alsa using_pulse using_jack using_backend using_directfb using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_glx_proc_addr_arb using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libfftw3 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video using_opengl_vsync using_qtwebkit using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmc_vld using_xvmcw using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_opengl using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_libavc_5_3 using_live using_mheg