[mythtv-users] Way out idea on watching same thing in multiplerooms

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Wed Jan 6 16:30:27 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Perkins" <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2010 1:45 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Way out idea on watching same thing in multiplerooms

Tortise wrote:

> Add in one more FE, a bit of VOIP and some file downloads and I can see a "1G" LAN intermittently falling over at those levels for
> VOIP and Video. Eh? When visiting, my elder son regularly calls his friends using Skype (with
webcam) over my 100Mb network. His activities barely register on my bandwidth
monitor. VOIP over Ethernet uses trivial amounts of bandwidth, especially for
voice-only.

That is expected Mike.  Try it with 6 concurrent HD unicasts and download a file and see if they all don't skip a beat, which was
the context of the concern that is missing from the above quote - that is now out of the context from the original.