[mythtv-users] low family acceptance factor; need advice

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Jan 6 17:54:46 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 12:33:07PM -0500, Aaron wrote:
> OK, I moved to Myth not long ago from the MCE camp. I like Linux and
> can get around quite well; but... the wife and kids are not so
> impressed.  The wife loves the commercial skip process and personally
> so do I, but for everything else we are kinda at a loss. Nothing
> really feels stable to us, the front end will randomly crash (if you
> stop the TV it sometimes just exits to the desktop). This isn't a big

    It's easy to setup the system to log back into the mythfrontend
application after this happens. There really isn't any reason that
you should ever see the desktop. This is just a minor configuration
issue.

    "mythtv" as a user should be automatically logged in and the mythfrontend
app should be the last thing running when X starts up.

> deal for me, i'll just grab the mouse, but it's not acceptable to the
> wife or kids (they only want to use the remote). I listen to music a
> lot, and as many have seen on this list, the music section of Myth
> leaves a lot to be desired. Movies for the kids, just isn't working
> like I want, I want a movie db, not a list of files. I need it as
> simple as possible for the kids and wife to just click on the movie
> they want, maybe this is a over site on my behalf, but it seemed to be

     Just sorting things in a simple way like by TV show and genre should
be more than adequate for WAF. It's really the only "simple" way of doing
things. Anything more like a "db" is going to complicate the interface.

     MythVideo will honor whatever filesystem organization you care to
impose upon your content.

[deletia]