[mythtv-users] low family acceptance factor; need advice

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Jan 6 19:26:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 12:49 -0500, Tom Lichti wrote:

> I can't help you on the firewire side, perhaps an HD-PVR is in your future?

I have never been able to get firewire recording to work reliably, and
you are limited to only the channels that the cable company chooses to
leave unencrypted. The way things are going, even if you are lucky
enough to have a lot of available unencrypted channels now, this will
likely change for the worse at some point. So I bit the bullet and
bought an HD-PVR. If you can afford the cost, it's just great and it can
get any channels that your set top box can get. You do need a relatively
recent kernel or else you have to be comfortable installing kernel
modules from source. Channel changing on my Motorola set top box via
firewire has been rock solid (I have never been able to get an IR
blaster to work).

--Greg