[mythtv-users] Way out idea on watching same thingin multiplerooms

Gareth Glaccum gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com
Wed Jan 6 22:19:56 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tortise" <tortise at paradise.net.nz>
>"1G" LANs are in my experience much less than 1G.  I've not yet seen a 1G
>NIC get anything near that through it. Even 100M would raise my eyebrows.

A bit off topic, but often we would see  ~120MB/s transfer rates on a 1G NIC
(on hardware we supply). In most cases, a result <105MB/s would constitute a
fail and be investigated.
Not all NICs and switches are created equal though.
The major problem we would have with multicast, is that the consumer often
goes for cheap stuff that will do what they need. I have to admit that the
switch I have at home, is of a brand that I have a lot of problems with, but
the switch was cheap, and gave me the bandwidth I needed at the time.