[mythtv-users] HD DirectTV

David George david at thegeorges.us
Thu Jan 7 01:22:22 UTC 2010

On 01/06/2010 06:10 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 January 2010 03:58:58 pm Mark wrote:
>
>> Robert McNamara wrote:

>> R5000HD box mod will do it too.   On certain receivers.
>>
> Is that legal? I thought I had heard it was not.

Yes, the R5000 is legal for receivers that were manufactured before the
magic lease date (the date when all receivers from Dish and Directv are
now leased units).  I don't have the exact dates the two companies
switched from owned to leased units.  I think Directv was Mar 2006, but
don't hold me to it.

If the R5000 wasn't legal DirecTV would have sued them out of
existence.  They are not exactly shy about going after anyone they think
are cutting into their bottom line.

The R5000 does not allow you to receive any programming you are not
entitled to.  It just allows you to record a digital copy of the broadcast.

You can find R5000 receivers on eBay once-in-a-while.

> AFAIK there are no legal issues with the HD-PVR1212.

None so far.  There probably will not be, however there is always a
chance that Dish and DirecTV will disable or downres (even further)
their component outputs, but so far they haven't.

--
David