[mythtv-users] Way out idea on watching same thinginmultiplerooms

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jan 7 04:34:59 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gareth Glaccum" <gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2010 5:03 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Way out idea on watching same thinginmultiplerooms

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Sharkey" <eric at lisaneric.org>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 10:13 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Way out idea on watching same
thinginmultiplerooms

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Gareth Glaccum
<gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com> wrote:
> The problem is, that as standard, most switches do not decode/ perform
> multicast snooping. This means that they do not listen for multicast joins
> and leaves, and instead broadcast multicast communications to all ports.
> This is a major waste of bandwidth.

>That doesn't sound so bad to me.  Certainly not for the use case being
discussed here.  Most of that "wasted" bandwidth wasn't going to be
used anyway.  The alternative of using unicast sounds much worse.

>But in the case where I have a TV plugged into a GB network, and the TV only
has a 10Mb/s interface implemented, it means that it is getting a broadcast
stream of an HD channel that it doesn't need. Its switch on the port starts
to drop packets because the TV cannot receive data fast enough (10Mb/s ports
being half duplex as well). This means then that the TV can no longer
receive perfectly all the data that it was expecting. My TV is only 1 year
old, I have no wish to upgrade it just because the network port stops
working because a program is flooding its network port.
This is an edge case example, but a problem none-the-less.

I guess that implies the switch is not up to the job if that happened, so replacing the switch with a multicast compliant switch
(cheaper than a TV I would speculate!) would surely fix that? (Or not enabling the multicast option)  Out of interest what is the TV
brand and model?  What is the Ethernet port there for, I assume with that level of performance its for firmware upgrades only and
surely not for DLNA?