[mythtv-users] Can I have my remote frontend database running as a separately named mysql database on the backend?

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky mythtv at kosowsky.org
Thu Jan 7 07:06:54 UTC 2010

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote at about 02:00:03 -0500 on Thursday, January 7, 2010:
 > I am playing with the windows version of mythtv and the wikki seems to
 > recommend that remote frontends use their own sql databases to avoid
 > the possibility of corrupting your backend sql database.
 >
 > First question is whether that truly is an issue??? (I guess the
 > concern is in part over different database schemes which could be out
 > of synch between windows & linux)
 >
 > Second, assuming that it is recommended to have a separate database, I
 > would rather not install the mysql program on all my windows machines.
 >
 > So I was wondering whether I could use separately named versions of
 > the mythconverg database for each remote frontend but have them all
 > run on the backend, by using the following approach.
 >
 > 1. Setup a new myth database on my backend called say,
 >    mythconverg_windows
 >
 >    	  mysql -u root -p mythtv mythconverg-windows < \
 > 	  $( sed -e "s/mythconverg/mythconverg_windows/g" mc.sql)
 >
 >    where mc.sql is the usual mythconverg initialized database and the
 >    sed statement changes mythconverg -> mythconverg_windows
 >
 > 2. Edit mysql.txt as follows:
 > 	   		-DBName=mythconverg
 > 	   		+DBName=mythconverg_windows
 >

 > 3. Use ssh port forwarding "-L 3306:localhost:3306" so that I don't
 >    have to bother to open ports on my firewall or to grant local network
 >    permission to the mythconverg database
 >
 >    (Alternatively, I could open up the firewall, edit the DBHostName in
 >    mysql.txt and grant local network access permissions to my newly
 >    created mythconverg_windows database)
 >
 > 3. Run mythrontend...
 >

 > It seems to work, but before I adopt this approach permanently, I want
 > to make sure that it actually makes sense to do that and that it will
 > function equivalently to having a separate mythconverg database on the
 > remote frontend. In particular, I want to make sure that this doesn't
 > create any dangers of corrupting my main backend server database.

And to clarify, the concern is that both databases are running on the
mysql same mysl server (on the same hostname) and moreover both are
addressed as 'localhost' since I am ssh port forwarding the mysql
connection. However, the databases have different *names* so I would
hope this would be sufficient to avoid any interference.