[mythtv-users] How to copy 'frontend' portion of mysql database

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky mythtv at kosowsky.org
Thu Jan 7 08:38:31 UTC 2010

Richard Morton wrote at about 08:18:56 +0000 on Thursday, January 7, 2010:
 > The remote frontends don't run database servers (mysql), the simply connect
 > over the netwprk to the master backend. All you need to do is duplicate the
 > settings within the settings table for the new frontend identifier/hostname

Your brevity was very helpful.  I had completely misunderstood how
this all worked mistakenly, thinking that the frontend settings were
stored separately (and locally) for each frontend.

Now looking at the 'settings' table it seems to be a mix of some
settings associated with a hostname and some (presumably general ones)
associated with NULL.

Is there any 'easy' way of cloning the hostname-specific settings?

Also, can I assume the following:
- All settings in the Settings table are frontend-related
- All other tables are backend related and/or general system settings
  that don't vary frontend-to-frontend.

Finally, when using the setup pages in mythfronted, is there any
structural way to know (other than using common sense) which options
can be frontend specific and which ones are system-wide?