[mythtv-users] Can I have my remote frontend database running as a separately named mysql database on the backend?

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky mythtv at kosowsky.org
Thu Jan 7 08:39:26 UTC 2010

Raymond Wagner wrote at about 02:07:21 -0500 on Thursday, January 7, 2010:
 > On 1/7/2010 2:00 AM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > > I am playing with the windows version of mythtv and the wikki seems to
 > > recommend that remote frontends use their own sql databases to avoid
 > > the possibility of corrupting your backend sql database.
 > >

 > I've never heard anyone make that suggestion for mythtv, nor do I see
 > that suggestion anywhere on the Windows page on the wiki.  All frontends
 > and backends MUST use the same database.

Ahhhh... I never knew that probably because for the last 5 years, I
have had just a single frontend and backend anyway.

So to be clear are you saying that there is always only a *single*
mythconverg database and a *single* instance of mysqld running at any
time?  And furthermore does that mean that mysql only needs to be
installed on the master backend?

Note: regarding the Windows mythtv wiki, I read the following as a "dire"
warning that a Windose mythtv version could overwrite a Linux
version (the English is a bit rough so I can now see how this may be
referring to moving databases back-and-forth between two separate
installations rather than interactions between frontends and backends
on the same installation)

	Installing MySQL Server

 	Next, you need to actually need to have a mysql server running, and
	configured to accept the username,password, and database that you
	specified in the mysql.txt!

	You can configure your database on a different (eg existing) mysql
	server/box (like a linux box), but I STRONGLY urge you to NOT to point
	it to any existing mythty database without taking a backup first, and
	realising that you will quote probably break any other mythtv install
	connected to that database (due to the schema differences in different
	versions )!