[mythtv-users] Channel numbers unique?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 13:47:30 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 2:33 AM, Jan Johansson <j2 at mupp.net> wrote:

>  >per source. However, _chanid_ must be unique
> >for the global MythTV installation, and is not a user-configurable
> >value for this reason.
>
> Thanks!
>
> No, Chanid I have not touched.
>
> (My STB reordered my channel list after a firmware upgrade, and it was
> easier to modify freqid and channum manually via mythweb then it was to
> re-build the channel list in the STB :) )

IIRC channum is only used for display and for selecting a channel by typing
it's number in LiveTV. If you have multiple sources you shouldn't give
different channels the same channum even if the channels appear on different
sources. Though you can (and generally should) give two channels the same
number on different sources if they are two copies of the same channel.

Freqid is set to the channel change script you've specified for the source
so this should be set to whatever the STB uses for it's channels. Channum is
not relevant to the STB at all. You might want to use the same numbers as it
does for channels, but you don't have to.

When the STB changed its channel numbering you could have just updated the
freqids and keep using the channel numbers you were used to in MythTV.

Cheers,
Steve