[mythtv-users] HD DirectTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jan 7 14:02:53 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 06 January 2010 06:22:22 pm David George wrote:

> If the R5000 wasn't legal DirecTV would have sued them out of
> existence.  They are not exactly shy about going after anyone they think
> are cutting into their bottom line.

But such modded receivers probably don't hurt their bottom line at all, it
could be argued that it helps, as it might get people to subscribe who would
not otherwise.

It's more likely that the programming suppliers demand some sort of
"protection" from people recording their material, and DTV will just do the
minimum required to keep those folks happy.

As you said, it's not theft of service, just doing what you want with what you
have paid for. At most it's a violation of the TOS.

You have to be a paying customer to use an R5000, why would DirectTV not like
that? A customer who has made a large investment in a receiver is less likely
to unsubscribe. Again, why should DTV care? I'd think they would like it,
unless their programming suppliers could sue them for not "protecting" them,
in which case the case would be against DTV, not the R5000 suppliers.