[mythtv-users] SiliconDust to Announce CableCard Product at CES [RUMOR]

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Jan 7 16:18:34 UTC 2010

> How are the encryption/decryption keys exchanged? Does Win7
> send a certificate+public key to the cable card, and the cable card
> then confirm the validity (and non-revoked status) with an external
> sever before sending the data?

Never mind...that's exactly how it appears to be done:
http://www.cablelabs.com/specifications/OC-SP-CCCP2.0-I09-090508.pdf
(see page 10, Card and Host Mutual Authentication)

That said, even that doesn't seem unbeatable, since you've got the
win7 system in your posession to extract the keys from. I wonder what
sort of safeguards are in place to identify someone who sets up a
compliant Win7 system just to grab the keys and then use them
elsewhere (never powering up the Win7 PC again).

--
Ron
Ronald Frazier Photography - http://www.ronfphoto.com/