[mythtv-users] Movie downloaded from MythWeb with bad runtime: how to fix?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 19:10:03 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
> Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>
>> Robert McNamara wrote:
>>>
>>> If you want to be able to play it *everywhere*, you will likely need
>>> to remux the recording into a new container.
>>>
>>> Example:
>>>
>>> ffmpeg -i infile.mpg -acodec copy -vcodec copy outfile.mpg
>>
>> That's the sort of thing I was looking for. And I thought it had
>> worked when I tried it. Well it had to some degree. That
>> produced a file that Nero Showtime will play and show the correct
>> runtime, but Windows Media Player plays the audio only, and
>> NeroVision Express shows it as blank (although with the
>> correct runtime). It's NeroVision that is really my target here.
>
> Is there a similar command that means recompress to the same
> format... hmmm I guess not since that would be very rarely
> any use. :-(
>
> P.

Not quite sure what you mean-- if you want to transcode, you'd need to
actually come up with all the parameters.  The above just remuxes the
streams with no transcode.

It's probably worth noting that for most people/situations, their
.mpg's are actually Transport Streams.  passing ffmepg an outfile of
.mpg actually creates a Program Stream, so you might try:

ffmpeg -i infile.mpg -acodec copy -vcodec copy outfile.ts

to trigger a mux to a TS.  It might change matters, it might not.
Give it a shot.

Robert.