[mythtv-users] SiliconDust to Announce CableCard Product at CES [RUMOR]

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Jan 7 19:41:17 UTC 2010

Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> says:
> Also, firewire only gets you 1 tuner per cable box, right? So this is
> 1 box that replaces 2 box, which means less rental fees if you need
> 2.

My understanding is that most cable providers charge less for each
additional CableCard than for a cable box; certainly it'd be nice to
pay less than the $9.99/month I pay for my second one.

Unfortunately, SiliconDust's history works against its new product
ever being useful for us. Not that I have anything against the
company; quite the contrary, as a longtime satisfied HDHomeRun
owner. What I mean is that, because of its history of providing
non-Windows software support, one would imagine that if there were any
way of enabling the product to work with non-Windows software that
we'd have known about it from the start. I do hope I'm wrong, though.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array