[mythtv-users] Way out idea on watchingsame thinginmultiplerooms

Gareth Glaccum gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com
Thu Jan 7 22:04:01 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donald J. Organ IV" <dorgan at donaldorgan.com>
Couldnt all of this be acomplished by adding streaming to the back end and
making an interface that controls the stream on the back end?

Then you could join/control/start the stream from the frontend and the first
person to join/start  the stream controls it and if that person leaves the

I've only read a couple of these emails, but doing a broadcast doesnt seem
network friendly where as starting a stream and allowing views to
join/control would work, wouldnt it?
----

That is why multicast is what would be good. It allows a computer to start a
'group' (actually, this isn't required, it is just the first computer to
join the group), and then other computers on the network say that they want
to join the group (I want to see the stream). Any data then sent to the
multicast group is then sent to those network ports on the switches that
have joined.
Unfortunately, many switches do not correctly distinguish between ports that
have said join/leave (which is determined via IGMP snooping), and instead
send all data that is sent to any of these groups to all ports on the switch
(i.e. broadcasting the traffic).

Or are you saying that we should create a stream on disk, then each
front-end reads the stream from the backend? The issue with this is that in
most cases, this is a waste of bandwidth/IO on the backend.