[mythtv-users] SiliconDust to Announce CableCard Product at CES[RUMOR]

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jan 7 22:28:01 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Johnny" <jarpublic at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Friday, January 08, 2010 10:13 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] SiliconDust to Announce CableCard Product at CES[RUMOR]

>> Blu-ray and Cablecard require a protected video
path at the OS level to ensure that the from the source file/disc all
the way to the display there is no way to get at an unencrypted
version of the video. That is why there is no Blu-ray or Cablecard on
OSX either. They didn't implement a protected video path that these
content providers required. Now Windows (actually Vista or newer to be
more accurate) is the only game in town for Blu-ray or Cablecard.

I see this as relevant to Mythtv users with vdpau NVIDIA video cards - that all seem to be noted as HDCP compliant.

The video card is also a part of that HDCP / DRM chain.

What I think this means is that where digital content (no matter the source) includes ICT (Image constraint tokens) as best I can
tell the NVIDIA card will cut down any HD content to SD when played out over analogue component.  Otherwise it would not be HDCP
compliant, would it?

Without saying why, if that happened I would be annoyed.  Anyone else?