[mythtv-users] SiliconDust to Announce CableCard Product atCES[RUMOR]

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Fri Jan 8 01:48:49 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert McNamara" <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Friday, January 08, 2010 11:31 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] SiliconDust to Announce CableCard Product atCES[RUMOR]

>>> Blu-ray and Cablecard require a protected video
>
> path at the OS level to ensure that the from the source file/disc all
> the way to the display there is no way to get at an unencrypted
> version of the video. That is why there is no Blu-ray or Cablecard on
> OSX either. They didn't implement a protected video path that these
> content providers required. Now Windows (actually Vista or newer to be
> more accurate) is the only game in town for Blu-ray or Cablecard.
>
> I see this as relevant to Mythtv users with vdpau NVIDIA video cards - that
> all seem to be noted as HDCP compliant.
>
> The video card is also a part of that HDCP / DRM chain.
>
> What I think this means is that where digital content (no matter the source)
> includes ICT (Image constraint tokens) as best I can tell the NVIDIA card
> will cut down any HD content to SD when played out over analogue component.
> Otherwise it would not be HDCP compliant, would it?
>
> Without saying why, if that happened I would be annoyed. Anyone else?

>Whoah, easy there.  The ICT is not a part of HDCP, it's part of the
Blu-ray/HD-DVD AACS specification.  Unless you have a licensed AACS
decrypter (none exists in linux, note the specific use of the word
*licensed*) and ACCS-encrypted content (read: not cable) you will
never see any resizing of your video.

>So no, that's not not going to happen.

Robert

I like your confidence Robert.

Can you be sure there will be no AACS content distributed over cable?  (Or DVB-x ?)

What would happen when the broadcaster's content source is Bluray or HD-DVD - with ICT embedded?