[mythtv-users] ATrpms for Myth but RPMFusion for nvidia

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 14:06:14 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 8:52 AM, steve <networks1 at cox.net> wrote:
>>> I was having trouble getting my nvidia drivers installed, and some
>>> helpful
>
>>> support pages I found recommended using the drivers from RPMFusion.  I’ve
>
>>> now got those installed and working.  However, consensus seems to be that
>
>>> should use ATrpms for the Myth setup.  I know it’s  a bad idea to have
>>> both
>
>>> repositories enabled, so I’m wondering what I should do about this.
>>> Should
>
>>> I (a) go ahead and install Myth from RPM Fusion, or (b) disable RPM
>>> Fusion
>
>>> and install Myth from ATrpms?  If I do (b) then am I going to run into
>
>>> problems with future updates of the nvidia drivers?
>

>>I think I'd agree with the general consensus that mixing the two repos
>
>>is not a good idea.  I can't speak for the RPMFusion packages, but I'm
>
>>using both Myth and NVidia packages from ATrpms without any problems.
>

>>What issues were you having with the NVidia packages from ATrpms?  If
>
>>you haven't done so already you may want to post over on the ATrpms
>
>>list.  Axel and others on that list can be very helpful.
>

>>John
>

> When I followed the instructions on the wiki, i.e. yum install nvidia with
> the ATrpms repository active and then rebooted, the screen when black at the
> point in the book process where it switches to X.  I researched this and
> everything I found (strongly) recommended using the nvidia drivers from RPM
> Fusion if you weren’t going to use the proprietary installer from nvidia.
> So I did a clean install of Fedora and followed that advice, and my nvidia
> is now up and running.  So at this point I need to know what to do about
> MythTV.  i.e. is the RPM Fusion version OK, and if not can I safely disable
> that repository and install ATrpms and use that for all the other software,
> or do I maybe have to use that yum priorities thingy.
>

> I suppose I could do another fresh install and start over with the ATrpms
> nvidia drivers, but given my previous experience that would seem kinda like
> Einstein’s definition of insanity.
>

> Steve

Steve:

I'm assuming that you are using Fedora 12, which uses the nouveau
driver out of the box for nVidia cards.  There is a basic conflict
between nVidia and nouveau, so you have to blacklist the nouveau
driver -- and preferably rebuild initramfs -- to get the proprietary
nVidia driver working.  There are instructions around on the web both
for atrpms and for rpmfusion.  I believe Axel (of atrpms) posted
directions either to this list or to the atrpms-user list.  Rpmfusion
has directions on their site.

I've used (and currently use) both repos on different machines -- for
nVidia drivers, mythtv and a bunch of other stuff.  I have never mixed
the repos on the same machine because of the general wisdom that it is
a bad idea.  I've had good luck with both and don't really think one
is "better" than the other.  There was an attempt a few years back to
combine these repos, but there was some falling out or other
disagreement that resulted in the repos staying separate.  I think
which one you choose is really a matter of personal choice and/or
personal comfort.  I don't think you will go wrong with either one.

George