[mythtv-users] Remotux Released!

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Jan 8 14:08:14 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 12:26 AM, Chase Douglas
<chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 11:51 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>> As others have said, very good stuff here. Initial config isn't
>> entirely straight-forward or obvious if you're running !(Ubuntu || Mac
>> OS X), but I have it working on Fedora now...
>>
>> Got a start of an RPM for Fedora together here now too, still need to
>> gather up an initscript though. I don't see one in the source, but it
>> looks like there's one in the Ubuntu package... Not sure which is more
>> work, figuring out how to extract a file from a deb on an rpm system
>> and converting that for Fedora, or just starting my own initscript
>> from scratch (well, from another Fedora initscript... :) Anyone care
>> to just mail me a copy of the Ubuntu one?
>
> First, I'd be happy to integrate an rpm spec file into the sources if
> you manage to get one written.

I already had it written when I wrote, just didn't have an initscript
included yet. :)

> If you check out the bzr branch

Ew. So there *is* at least on project that still uses bzr... ;)

> you can
> build up a spec file and then I can pull from your branch.

Generally speaking, bundling a spec file with the source isn't that
useful. The spec often needs adjustment more often than the source
does, so the two get out of sync. In Fedora-land, we just maintain the
specs in the Fedora package scm, paired with pristine upstream source
tarballs. We actually *need* a separate spec file for things to work
correctly w/the build system.

> You can find more info on checking out my sources at:
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/rinput
>
> The Ubuntu (and debian, though I haven't done testing) init script can
> be found in the development repository in the debian directory. I
> strip out the debian directory before creating the source tarball as
> that's considered good practices from what I've read.

While I think not including the 'debian' directory in a source tarball
is a good thing, if the source contains an initscript, then it should
be included in the tarball. If nothing else, under an initscripts
directory, with the script clearly labeled as to what distribution its
for. That's fairly common in the dozens of packages I've maintained
over the years for Fedora.

> You can browse the files at:
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~chasedouglas/rinput/trunk/files/head:/debian/
>
> The init script is rinputd.init.

Thanks much, I'll adapt that for Fedora and bundle it into my package.

> You can also copy the SSL certificate
> generating parts of rinputd.postinst into the %post section of a spec
> file.

Already implemented that, heisted out of mac/rinputd.postinst. :)

> If you're interested in helping out with packaging or any other work,
> feel free to open a bug to keep mythtv-users traffic down:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/rinput

Don't really have a whole lot of time for anything beyond packaging it
up, unfortunately.

I'm happy to send an initial copy of the spec file and Fedora
initscript back your way for inclusion in your tree if you like, but
from there on out, I'd do most of the spec maintenance in Fedora's
package scm. Would definitely switch to a bundled initscript, once
available though.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com