[mythtv-users] how do you organize recordings for multiple people?

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 16:44:35 UTC 2010

> by me).  I know there are playback/recording/storage groups that I'm
> not using (i'm just using "default").  But from what I've read none of
> these are exactly what I want.  I would like to tag recordings as for
> Me, Wife, Kids.  Then on the recordings view switch between these (or
> any combination there of).  The trick is some shows may be tagged as
> just Me, Wife, Kids, or Me + Wife, or Me + Kids, etc... as far as I
> know there is no way to do this in myth.

This functionality is not available. There has been talk of multiuser
support in the past, but I am not aware of anything being implemented.

> So, is the functionality available and I'm just missing it, or is
> there some other way to manage recordings in this situation that is
> better than just "default".

The closest thing you can do is use recording groups. Playback groups
and storage groups are not relevant to this issue. Recording groups
will give you similar functionality except they act more like folders
than like tags. So you can only have a show in one recording group. At
my house I have Kids Shows, Kids Movies, and then TV, Movies for
myself and my wife. We tend to communicate about whether we have
watched something before we delete it. It isn't that big of a deal
since we talk about most shows anyways. Also you may want to look into
using the expire instead of delete option. This will move deleted
recordings into a "Deleted" recording group and set them to
autoexpire. That way if there is a mistake and something gets deleted
before you got to watch it. Then you can just undelete it (aka move it
out of the deleted recording group).