[mythtv-users] Frontend segmentation fault

emarkert at aim.com emarkert at aim.com
Fri Jan 8 20:13:03 UTC 2010

 I just got through uninstalling and reinstalling myth.

My frontend works again, and hopefully will continue to work.  The new frontend also worked on my notebook, connecting to the master backend without an issue.

Upon reinstall, there were 3 or 4 data tables that weren't recreated and I ended up going into a backup and grabbing the DDL query to recreate these tables.  I'm assuming this was caused by my not dropping and creating the mythconverg database.  If this is the only error I get from the reinstall, I'm happy.

After some further digging I think I may have found the possible source of the problem - perhaps some others can confirm my theory to help avoid others having a similar issue.

As I previously stated, the output from -v all produced nothing of substance that would illuminate the possible source of the seg fault.  The seg fault would occur right after the sql query:

DELETE FROM inuseprograms...

However, after this reinstall I reran the myth frontend and noticed that there was an error being thrown about a missing plugin, mythvodka.  So I decided to rerun the frontend with -v all and send the output to a log file.  I then searched for the DELETE query just to see what was happening around this to get an idea of the operations that may have previously failed.  Well, turns out that the log file contains two entries for the same DELETE query, and, lo and behold, the second query happens just before the check for plugins.

I deleted the mythvodka.so file because, well, it never worked, and I don't need it.  I reran the frontend in -v all mode and now get

No libraries in plugins directory /usr/lib/mythtv/plugins

for the plugin check.

Could/would mythvodka have generated the QT3 error in dmesg, and could this have been the source of the frontend failure?