[mythtv-users] DVD playback problems with ubuntu 9.10/myth 0.22-fixes

Matt Beadon matt.beadon at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 20:29:15 UTC 2010

I keep running into DVDs that won't play on my myth FE/BE but work just fine
on a "regular" DVD player.

Some DVDs work fine and others have various issues that can occasionally be
worked around by lucky timing of DVD menu commands.  Ultimately the WAF is
very low since maybe 2/3 of netflix DVDs won't play properly even after I
followed the instructions below.  :(
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

I've read that content protection on some discs can cause these types of
issues.  Has anyone got their myth system to play >90% of DVDs?  If so can
you share the recipe or point me in the right direction?  Maybe there are
DVD drives that do a better job than the one I have? (LITE-ON LH-2B1S)  Or
is it all about the software?

thanks in advance,
Matt