[mythtv-users] how do you organize recordings for multiple people?

Alan Marchiori alan at alanmarian.com
Sat Jan 9 02:05:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> by me).  I know there are playback/recording/storage groups that I'm
>> not using (i'm just using "default").  But from what I've read none of
>> these are exactly what I want.  I would like to tag recordings as for
>> Me, Wife, Kids.  Then on the recordings view switch between these (or
>> any combination there of).  The trick is some shows may be tagged as
>> just Me, Wife, Kids, or Me + Wife, or Me + Kids, etc... as far as I
>> know there is no way to do this in myth.
>
> This functionality is not available. There has been talk of multiuser
> support in the past, but I am not aware of anything being implemented.
>
>> So, is the functionality available and I'm just missing it, or is
>> there some other way to manage recordings in this situation that is
>> better than just "default".
>
> The closest thing you can do is use recording groups. Playback groups
> and storage groups are not relevant to this issue. Recording groups
> will give you similar functionality except they act more like folders
> than like tags. So you can only have a show in one recording group. At
> my house I have Kids Shows, Kids Movies, and then TV, Movies for
> myself and my wife. We tend to communicate about whether we have
> watched something before we delete it. It isn't that big of a deal
> since we talk about most shows anyways. Also you may want to look into
> using the expire instead of delete option. This will move deleted
> recordings into a "Deleted" recording group and set them to
> autoexpire. That way if there is a mistake and something gets deleted
> before you got to watch it. Then you can just undelete it (aka move it
> out of the deleted recording group).

Thanks, I have assigned recording groups for each recording rule.
Unfortunately it seems this is not applied to shows that were already
recorded with the rule.  Is there by chance a script that would apply
the recording group from the recording rule to already recorded shows?

Otherwise I guess I'll wait for the old recordings to go away over
time and switch the view to the recording groups in a few weeks.