[mythtv-users] wireless usb

bhaskins at chartermi.net bhaskins at chartermi.net
Sat Jan 9 15:04:29 UTC 2010

---- Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
My last reply seems to have been eaten by the email congress ( sorry, congress
happens to be the most profane word that I can think of ).
In better times, I have done a lot of embedded/dedicated systems and in the
process have used and purchased many wireless cards, mostly PCMCIA or PCI.
Maybe I'm just spoiled, unlucky, or not gifted but I have never had anything approaching
decent luck with any wireless parts by either ralink or broadcom.
Spoiled comes from experience with Intel 2200bg or Atheros Ar5xxx, both of which just work,
without wasting lots time and patience with constant loss of connections or having to use
 ndiswrapper, dhciient, etc just to get up and connect.
I just went through a real test of patience with a RT3070 ( which was advertised as
an Atheros ) and a Dlink DWA-125 ( identified as a RT2770 ).
I tried both of these under the last three versions of both Fedora and Ubuntu plus several
other ( low resource ) distros.
The D-link had a perfect score, it flunked every test!! and they even have the ~!@#
to put a copy of the GNU in the box.
The other, the fake Atheros, sort of worked, but nowhere near well enough to keep
it out of the trash can.

So Jarod, I do like what you add to this list and I'm happy that the ralink works for
you but I will just have to keep searching for a working USB wireless card.
I think that this might help anyone else, just forward it to the list, else -> null
Thanks,
  Bert