[mythtv-users] Silicondust Makes CableCard Announcement

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 15:53:29 UTC 2010

> The iTunes approach to music has changed things significantly, contributing
> greatly to the demise of DRM on a lot of music, and getting a lot of artists
> the exposure the old ways prevented.
>
> Whether it will work with video is another question, even Apple shows no signs
> of eliminating DRM from video, probably because the suppliers have been
> brainwashed by MS into thinking DRM is necessary to their continued profits.

I am sorry but if anybody has done more to promote DRM it is Apple.
They only took out DRM when it was their last resort, because there
were several other large digital music stores that were doing so. I
could give my opinion but Ars Technica writes better than me:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/01/a-look-at-apples-love-for-drm-and-consumer-lock-ins.ars.
Sure Microsoft implements DRM but they don't have to actively promote
it to any of the content providers. Content providers have always
sought these types of measures, even before there were computers (e.g.
trying to stop VCRs). Microsoft just gave them what they wanted. They
certainly didn't have to "brainwash" anybody. But I agree that I would
certainly love to just buy something and be able to use it as I please
unfettered by artificial DRM restrictions.