[mythtv-users] Silicondust Makes CableCard Announcement

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jan 9 16:38:28 UTC 2010

On Saturday 09 January 2010 09:30:17 am Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > Whether it will work with video is another question, even Apple shows no
> > signs of eliminating DRM from video, probably because the suppliers have
> > been brainwashed by MS into thinking DRM is necessary to their continued
> > profits.
>
> You give MS too much credit.  The desire to produce uncopyable content
> really predates anything MS has done.  Modern DRM is a natural
> progression from ARM techniques like macrovision on VHS tapes and
> such.  MS is merely seeing a market opportunity and trying to cash in
> on it.

But pushing Windows-only DRM schemes goes beyond what the content owners might
reasonably want. DRM = Windows is not true, but a lot of content providers
think it is, and it's unlikely they got this idea from Apple or any other non-
MS source.

I have no problem with paying for content, and if I must I will accept a
system that prevents my doing what I want to with my paid-for content, but any
system that starts out by telling me I *must* send money to Bill Gates in
order to buy and use content is just wrong, and I will have nothing to do with
it. Bill has enough money as it is, and a lot of it was made using methods
declared illegal by many (like the EU), and certainly immoral.