[mythtv-users] Remotux Released!

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat Jan 9 16:54:09 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Chase Douglas
<chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 12:44 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>> So far as I could tell, the process itself doesn't actually have a
>> daemonize mode. In the ubuntu package, it seems it relies on the
>> start-stop-something --daemon flag. Meant to ask Chase about that. :)
>
> I can add a daemonize switch if needed, but I never really understood
> why it was necessary. I suppose if you run it in a shell without
> proper job control it could be an issue, but at this point is it
> really needed when almost any shell can execute it in the background
> with an ampersand?

Because then its still attached to a specific shell process, rather
than truly running in the background not attached to a shell that has
to be left running too. Could play some tricks with disown, but the
right way is to have the daemon truly run daemonized. Personally, I'd
make daemonized mode the default, since the binary name is rinputd
(remote input daemon), and add a switch to not background it for when
you need/want to run it by hand with debugging enabled.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com