[mythtv-users] Silicondust Makes CableCard Announcement

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Jan 9 17:24:47 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 05:53:44PM +0100, Francesco Peeters wrote:
> jedi wrote:
> >
> >     Given the general "walled off" nature of MacOS in general I would not be
> > inclined to give them any benefit of the doubt here. Sure they make a large
> > noise about not wanting DRM. However, they structure their main products in
> > such a way that dealing with alien DRM-free content is entirely too much of a
> > bother. I think they very much understand the value of restricting what their
> > users can do and discouraging them from being too independent.
> >
> Really? And when did you have that experience? I play all sorts of
> "alien" and "DRM-free" content on my OS/X machine!...

    When? As soon as I tried to start playing or manipulating something other
than a quicktime file. I still havent gotten vob access sorted out for Apple's
tools although 3rd party applications seem less limited.

    Only really odd example is how iMovie will barf on the same video if it is
read straight off the camera rather than exported through iMovie directly.

    Sure, if you are geeky you can dinker around with Perian and other things
for awhile. I didn't realize how much I had gotten spoiled by apt-get until
I tried getting all of my videos playing in quicktime and Front Row.