[mythtv-users] 0.21: hdhomerun: how to record UHF HD on #1 (OTA), VHF on #2 (via cable/QAM)?

Peter Watkins peterw at tux.org
Sat Jan 9 20:53:57 UTC 2010

Greg Woods wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-01-09 at 14:52 -0500, Peter Watkins wrote:
>
>> Problem #3:
>> Schedules Direct will only let me create one listing source for local
>> HD broadcasts
>
> They should be showing one lineup for OTA and one for cable. So you use
> one of those to define the source for your antenna tuner and one for
> your QAM tuner.

Ah, yes, the "digital" lineup does show the various local HD channels.
I'll give that a try (I've been using the "analog" cable lineup for my
PVR-500 tuner, don't know why I didn't look at the digital lineup on
SD earlier).

> The tricky part is getting the channels to match up.
> Naturally they have different channel numbers;  for instance, here in
> the Denver area, the local CBS affiliate (KCNC) appears in the OTA
> lineup as channel 4.1, and in the QAM lineup as channel 654. The way to
> get them to match up properly is to make sure the XMLTVID numbers match.
>
> As a rule, the OTA scan should "just work"; everything in the channel
> table will be set up properly if you just scan for channels.
> Unfortunately, if your cable provider is like mine (and like most of
> them in the US apparently), when you scan for QAM channels, you get
> channels but few of them have callsigns or XMLTVID values. There is no
> way to avoid having to set all these by hand, and the only way I know of
> to figure out which channel is which is to tune them in Live TV. This is
> a royal pain, no doubt about it. Once you know which channel is which,
> you can set the callsign and XMLTVID using the Channel Editor (from

Sounds like fun. :-/

> This is what I do and it works well. In my case, when all my tuners are
> working, it's even more complicated because I also have analog versions
> of many of the same channels for my PVR-500 tuners. These in fact really
> are different channels, because they are SD versions and they do have
> different XMLTVID's. But if you are wanting to match HD OTA and HD QAM,
> they should have the same XMLTVID.

That sounds very similar to my setup -- the PVR-500 is used to pull
content off basic analog cable that I can't get via OTA HD.

> Once the XMLTVID's match up, you should be able to run mythfilldatabase
> and it will give you matching guide data for the QAM and OTA versions of
> the same channels. Which tuner gets used first for channels that are
> available on both is determined by the order you define them when you
> set them up.

And the priority, right? Live TV prefers the lowest, the recording
scheduler prefers the highest, right?

Thank you!

-Peter