[mythtv-users] Building Remote Frontend - Components

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Sat Jan 9 23:35:49 UTC 2010

On 1/9/2010 4:05 PM, Jongi wrote:
> I am thinking of the components below for a FE in the bedroom:
>
> Mobo
> Asus M3N78-VM

I use this motherboard for all my HD frontends.
> CPU
> AMD X4 9650

This processor is more than you need. The lower cost and lower power AMD
Athlon 64 X2 5200 is more than sufficient. I have it in one of my HD
frontends with the above motherboard.

> Video
> GT220 512MB
> RAM

There is no need for a video card as the motherboard's built-in video is
more than sufficient.

> 2GB JetRAM DDR2-800
> HDD
> Seagate 7200.12 8MB 250GB

As you noted, there is no need for a hard drive as you can network boot.
In fact, with 2GB of RAM, the root file system can be in RAM. Even
though the hard drive is cheap, the system can be quieter and will be
lower power without it.