[mythtv-users] Power off STB: a new twist from our local cable provider

mike mikpolniak at roadrunner.com
Sun Jan 10 15:17:57 UTC 2010

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 17:12:10 -0700
Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 09 January 2010 04:55:29 pm Ronald Frazier wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Christian Szpilfogel
> >
> > <chrisznews4 at rogers.com> wrote:
> > > If my STB has been on for a while they start displaying "Press
> > > any key to watch TV".
> >
> > Please don't "bump" your post (especially after just an hour).
> >
> > Are you sure this problem happens based on how long the box has been
> > on? The typical thing I see is that it's based on how long it's been
> > since a button was pressed...as long as you press a button every
> > hour or two, it's fine. If my suspicion is correct, then the best
> > course of action would be to see if there is a button you can press
> > which won't actually do anything (cancel or escape may be the best
> > bet) and cron it up to run automatically at set intervals (and pick
> > an odd time, like 12 minutes after the hour, just so you aren't
> > likely to activate it at the same time a channel change happens.
> >

> If they want you to press a button every now and then it sounds like
> they may be getting ratings information and want to make sure you
> haven't just turned on PBS or CSPAN and gone out to dinner.

This happens on my STB(sa3250) along with a blue screen overlaying the
video and requires a key press to remove the blue.

AFICT its activated if you go over 2 hours without a keypress/channel-
change and it appears to be for checking if someone is actually
watching.

As stated above, the ideal solution is a 'dummy' command for the stb
channel change script which emulates a key press without doing anything.