[mythtv-users] Zotac IONITX-B-E Network Issues

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jan 10 16:32:01 UTC 2010

On Sunday 10 January 2010 09:17:23 am Greg Grotsky wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 6:59 AM, Ramon Redondo <malinon at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  I know you've already RMA'd it, but did you check your ethernet cable?
> > When I first started using gigabit ethernet I found that some cards were
> > less forgiving than others when the cable was questionable.  If you get a
> > new box and it still has a problem, you'll probably want to look there.
>
> Thanks Ramon,
>
> Actually, I did check the cable... it was straight through (pin-for-pin)
>  and all the wires touched the end of the plug on both ends.  I checked it
>  because I thought exactly what you thought.  Someone recently told me that
>  it's part of the gigabit-ethernet spec that the gigabit device detect
>  crossover/straight cables and work with both no matter what.  I haven't
>  checked this on my gigabit devices.  Really the only other thing I could
>  blame it on is the driver, and it's the same driver that all you guys are
>  using: forceware.

Some 100-base-T and (I believe) all 1000-base-T ports are "auto sensing" as to
the polarity. All Macs have had this feature for years on 100 speed ports.

It can cause problems, for example when trying to get into Redboot on an NSLU2
you have a very short time window to get to the bootloader, unfortunately the
window is shorter than the time required to auto-sense the port, so, for
example, I can't use any Apple machine to do this.

I don't think this is your problem, you're not doing anything really time
sensitive, but I thought I'd mention it.