[mythtv-users] Power off STB: a new twist from our local cable provider

Tony Brummett brummett at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 16:47:03 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Christian Szpilfogel
<chrisznews4 at rogers.com> wrote:
> It seems our local cable provider has added a new twist to recording.
>
> If my STB has been on for a while they start displaying "Press any key to
> watch TV".

The STBs for Uverse do that too.  My kludge has been to send a couple
of "Ok" button presses before the channel digits.  The first one is if
it's in that screensaver mode to wake it up.  The second is because
sometimes there will be a "message form the cable provider" on the
screen, and you'll have to press Ok to make that overlay go away.  The
good news is that "Ok" does nothing other than wake it up unless
you're changing channels or using the menu system.

> But it is not ideal for general channel changing as it adds yet another 2
> seconds of delay (ie 1 sec off, 1 sec on with guard time).

There is that, but in the TV settings you can tell it to start all
your recordings early; I have mine set to 1 minute.  That way a slow
channel change isn't an issue.

-- Tony