[mythtv-users] frontend hardware - any reason not to use ion?

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Sun Jan 10 23:47:26 UTC 2010

matt lutz wrote:
> All,
>
> Up until now I was able to use a combination frontend/backend because
> I was able to keep my server in the basement and run audio & video
> cables to my receiver.  Very soon I won't be able to do that though,
> and I'm in the process of evaluating frontend hardware.  I need HD
> capabilities, and from what I gather, VDPAU has made a small silent HD
> capable frontend relatively cheap.  The question I have is whether
> there are any downsides to the ion platform.  Is the atom fast enough
> to do all of the newer MythUI features?  I saw somewhere that it can't
> support some of the deinterlaces (advanced 2x or something like
> that?).  Is that a big deal?  Are there further advancements coming
> down that would make the ion obselete, and I'd be better off getting a
> microATX board with a newer nvidia graphics card?
>
> This would seem like the ideal frontend assuming the ion is a good choice:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173001&cm_re=zotac_ion-_-56-173-001-_-Product

I recently installed an Acer Aspire Revo R1600-U910H as an FE-only host. It's
an Ion based system. Works like a charm. Plays 1080p content just fine with
VDPAU and only about 10% CPU usage. Almost completely silent. Certainly more
quiet than any box with a standard CPU fan. HDMI audio works with the
proprietary Nvidia drivers. I have no experience with the open source Nvidia
driver.