[mythtv-users] Need some help transcoding for N900

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 04:17:58 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Tim Ashman <tim at ashmans.net> wrote:
> Ok, so I'd like to transcode for my N900.  how exactly would I do this.  When
> I open my file manager on my n900 I can see the shared media, I can browse it
> and I can attempt to play it, however the format isn't supported.
>
> I'm assuming I could setup a transcoder that would create files compatible
> with my N900, put them in a directory named say N900, then I could browse and
> stream these onto my n900.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Last I checked (just covering my butt here), mythtv does not do on the
fly transcoding.  You can setup myth to automatically transcode
recording after they finish though.

I use another upnp/media server mediatomb that transcodes on the fly
for me though, so I do not have to keep 2 separate sets of the same
recordings.  There are others as well - fuppes is another I have used
that transcodes on the fly..

Obviously I would love mythtv to do it all :)

-Greg