[mythtv-users] VMWare on the backend. Viable solution?

Martin Ravell martin.ravell at rave-tech.com.au
Mon Jan 11 10:04:33 UTC 2010

I'm just about to put in a new box for my home server and am thinking about
changing my Myth setup as well. I'd appreciate your comments if you have
done anything similar:

I've been running Myth for about 6 years on a couple of different boxes.
Started out installing with Fedora from Jarod's excellent guide but moved
over to MythDora when it became available. I have a PVR-350 that I'm using
for capture and an NVidia 9400 for output. Pretty high WAF.

Given that I am putting in a new i7 machine as the home file server with a
bunch of memory so that I can run VMWare for work related stuff I am
wondering if running MythBackend on a virtual machine is a reasonable option
these days?

I could keep my current hardware on the Myth box as frontend only and move
the Foxtel STB to the office where it would be far more convenient than the
cabinet underneath the living room floor as it is now.

The new home server is getting a nice ARECA RAID card and a bunch of disks
as well. This should add some reliability as I've lost my Myth system a
couple of times due to disk failures in the past.

My rig is still SD (although I'm planning going to HD this year). Network is
all wired so I don't think speed will be an issue.

What do you think? Is VMWare with MythBackend on a (probably Fedora or
CentOS) virtual machine a viable option? I may add some more front-ends as
well but at this stage it will be one of each.

Regards

Marty