[mythtv-users] Poor Signal Crashes Frontend

Mark Garland mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk
Mon Jan 11 13:31:15 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Over the last few days, I've have my remote frontend 'crash' twice.

My server is running 0.22 on Kubuntu and has been very reliable.
My remote frontend is running 0.22 and Kubuntu, and is using VDPAU on my
9500GT.

All works well, until the programme becomes badly damaged because of the
signal of the OTA transmissions.  I'll stress that the programme must be
*badly* damaged as myth seems pretty tolerant of regular blips and artifacts
etc.

Before the 'crash', the programme was breaking up pretty badly and the sound
was very crackly.  Then, the image/sound froze.  Unfortunately, this managed
to take down the whole machine - it became completely unresponsive - I moved
the mouse and 5 seconds later the cursor jumped to the new position.  My
only option was to 'button it' so I'm afraid I can't tell whether it was
maxing the CPU etc. although I doubt it given that it's a quad core machine.

In this case, if the video becomes too badly damaged to watch, I would
imagine I should be taken back to the Recordings page - in fact, I think
I've even seen this once or twice with 0.21.

Has anyone else seen this?  Is this known about?  Can I help troubleshoot
this in some way?

I've attached my logs for around the time, however given the quality of the
video they are quite noisy.
I do note that the FrontEnd log reads " NVP(1): Timed out waiting for free
video buffers.", and I used to see this a lot on a different box when the
ATI driver screwed up.  Perhaps the garbled programme confused the NVidia
Driver (see below for versions).

All suggestions welcome,

Thanks,

MG

---

mark at titanic:~$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii  nvidia-173-modaliases                173.14.20-0ubuntu5
Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
ii  nvidia-185-kernel-source             185.18.36-0ubuntu9
NVIDIA binary kernel module source
ii  nvidia-185-libvdpau                  185.18.36-0ubuntu9
Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix
ii  nvidia-185-modaliases                185.18.36-0ubuntu9
Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
ii  nvidia-96-modaliases                 96.43.13-0ubuntu6
Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
ii  nvidia-common                        0.2.15.1
Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
ii  nvidia-glx-185                       185.18.36-0ubuntu9
NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
ii  nvidia-settings                      180.25-0ubuntu1
Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driv