[mythtv-users] frontend hardware - any reason not to use ion?

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Jan 11 13:38:12 UTC 2010

On 10 Jan 2010, at 20:04, matt lutz wrote:

> support some of the deinterlaces (advanced 2x or something like
> that?).  Is that a big deal?  Are there further advancements coming
> down that would make the ion obselete, and I'd be better off getting a
> microATX board with a newer nvidia graphics card?

If you are a fussy b** like me and some of my friends then don't get an ION, it's aggravatingly almost quick enough to do everything nicely but not quite...

I was lucky enough that a friend bought a Zotac ION mATX system before me, I then spent many hours at his place tweaking until it played HD material ok. He's very happy with it but I left glad that i hadn't bought one myself, things have improved smooth performance wise with 0.22 and running minimyth seemed to help a great deal, I understand that further progress is being made for .23 with vdpau that might make things better but it wasn't good enough for me a few weeks ago.

I have a mATX with an old 1.8Ghz C2D cpu and a GT220 and I'm very very happy with that, if I could find a mATX board that allowed a passive GT220 and a couple of PCI sat cards that would be an ideal small Myth system in my opinion.

I think that if you have an older or smaller HDTV (<1080p (full HD) res and <40") you might be very happy with an ION, big screen, fussy or videophile, forget it. IMHO.

Andre