[mythtv-users] Need some help transcoding for N900

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 15:03:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 09:21, Tim Ashman <tim at ashmans.net> wrote:

> Thank you.  I'll give this a try

I just got my N900 on Friday and attempted to play a recording
(standard def, recorded with PVR250, so MPEG-2 format) and it played
just fine via UPnP, without doing any transcoding (was only a very
quick test). Prior to attempting, I did install the package to support
MPEG-2 on Maemo... I forget the name of it at the moment.... was
probably in Maemo-Extras.

The N900 is significantly more powerful than the N810/N800... so it
shouldn't require things to be transcoded down nearly as low as the
older devices did. Of course, it might be nice to do so in order to
cut out letterboxing, etc... and possibly to reduce the CPU
requirements (improve battery life).

Checking my App Manager now... it might have been the "Extra Decoders
Support" package which added the MPEG-2 support I needed.

aaron