[mythtv-users] frontend hardware - any reason not to use ion?

David Asher asherml at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 15:56:43 UTC 2010

On Jan 11, 2010, at 7:32 AM, Fred Squires wrote:

> A few tips:
> You'll need to go into the bios to increase the memory for the video
> card. With 1 GB you can only move it up to 256, I added an extra gig
> so I could go up to 512. I didn't notice any problems with 256, but I
> only tested a few videos.

I'll add/second that tip: if you want to use the pretty fanart,
coverart, etc, you NEED the 2GB.  At least in the current state, my
mythfrontend memory usage balloons quite easily, with 256MB allocated
for video, 1GB just doesn't hack it.  Add to that the reports that
256MB is borderline for playback, 2GB is the way to go.  Luckily my
two Revo 1600's both came with only one SO-DIMM slot populated, so it
was just adding another.  Kinda tricky getting the case apart, however.

I upgraded to 2GB and 512MB and everything works pretty well.  I did
have to set it up so every night mythfrontend restarts because the
memory still seems to get out of hand.  I haven't had a chance to
debug why.  My theory is the image cache doesn't get fanart/coverart
images removed so it grows continuously, but I haven't checked to code
to see.

David.