[mythtv-users] MythVideo taking an age start

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Mon Jan 11 16:14:16 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 6:00 AM, mat <mat at lessermatters.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi there folks,
>
> I'm having a small issue with MythVideo. Basically, on any of my
> frontends, when selecting Media->Video it takes ages (about 5 minutes I
> would guess at) for the video selection screen to appear. I haven't done
> any proper test but yesterday I ran BWM (bandwidth monitor) whilst this
> was happening and I was getting 600 K/s for most of this time.
>
> So it would appear that my frontend is being sent lots of data before it
> will finally display the list of videos.
>
> Does anyone have a clue as to what is happening and how to fix it?
>
> I'm using 0.21 from the Debian etch repo.

In .21 I seem to remember a setting for Mythvideo that has it scan the
filesystem for new files every time you open it. Try disabling that perhaps?
It's got to get the list of files somehow, so it's database or filesystem
access. 600K/s seems quite slow for either unless your backend or fileserver
just can't keep up. I have a somewhat large directory of video files on my
server that the FEs access over the LAN and it only takes me a few seconds
to scan the whole thing from either FE. My FEs mount the video filesystem
with NFS and autofs.

I'd check the transfer speed from your fileserver and make sure it's not
getting bogged down. Heavy CPU load or lots of other I/O will slow down
access for your FEs. Also check the network, make sure you're connecting
both machines at the best speed your network can handle and they aren't
falling back to 10M for some reason. Check the database logs as well,
perhaps it's having issues.