[mythtv-users] OT: 3D TV

Justin Johnson justin.johnson3 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 16:32:31 UTC 2010

With all the 3D tv's announced at CES last week, and broadcasters beginning
to experiment with it I wanted to see what people thought about it. From
what I've read the synchronization signal for the glasses is carried over
HDMI and then the TV has some device that communicates with the glasses to
allow different frames to be shown to different eyes. Would this mean the
end of the HD-PVR? Or would we just be stuck with a single set of the
frames, essentially making the content 2D? I would assume that OTA data
would be fine so long as the 3D data was still decoded from the MPEG2 stream
and sent to the TV set.
I'm also interested in what people think about 3D TV from a general viewing
standpoint. Is it going to be as groundbreaking as HD? My thinking is that
it could be, for some content, just as HD doesn't make a huge difference for
many shows. Sports is where I see the largest benefit, same as HD. What do
others think?
--Justin Johnson