[mythtv-users] OT: 3D TV

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 17:59:03 UTC 2010

> I understand how it does work, the fact is:
> The eye receive an image only half of the time. It does result to brightness
> lose for the brain point of view.
> Anybody which tried them on would be able to confirm this to you.

Has been a long time for me. I used to work for Silicon Graphics in
the mid nineties and 3d displays were common use for customers. The
CRT or projector would run at 120Hz with 60 frames for each eye. The
IR transmitter was either on the top of the CRT or on the wall if you
were in a 3d cave or reality center.

It was very effective but I remember getting eye strain if wearing
them for any extended period. This was 15 years ago so good to see the
technology is hitting the living room. Just hoping the eye strain
issue has improved. Wondering though if 30 frames per eye is better or
worse than the 60 frames per eye.

I remember noticing a flicker as well when wearing them but that may
be related to the fact that I live in Australia and lights above my
CRT would have run at 50Hz whereas the screen ran at what would appear
to be half of 120Hz when wearing the glasses - come to think of it I
don't remember the same flicker when in a dark reality center...

I do remember it looking darker with glasses on rather than off (like
wearing weak sunglasses, not sure if that was just looking through the
LCD or if it was the brain playing tricks with the whole only one eye
at the time thing but either way, I would assume it could be
compensated for in the screen brightness.

Long time ago now anyways....

Cheers

Phil