[mythtv-users] Diskless frontend - NFS options?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 20:52:20 UTC 2010

A recent power failure showed me that my systems' NFS resilience is
not what it used to be.  I have 3 diskless ION frontends that boot via
PXE and use NFS.  It used to be the case that the NFS server could go
down for a long time and the frontends would do no worse than hang
until the NFS server was back up, after which the frontends would be
just fine.  Something has changed in the meantime (maybe upgrading
from MythDora 10.21's 2.6.27.9 kernel?), and I have to hard-reboot the
frontends after the NFS server reboots.

Here are the details of my setup.
Kernel: 2.6.31.6 on all machines
/etc/exports on the NFS server has lines like this:
/storage1/frontends/mythfe1/ROOT
192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash,sync)
/etc/fstab on a frontend looks like this:
192.168.0.205:/storage1/frontends/mythfe1/ROOT / nfs
rw,user,nolock,exec,suid,dev 0 0

For non-root NFS file systems, I am using autofs, with this line in
/etc/auto.master:
/net    -hosts  --negative-timeout=15,intr,suid,dev

Any hints on how to regain resiliency in the NFS root file system?

Jim