[mythtv-users] frontend hardware - any reason not to use ion?

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 22:47:13 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>> I have a ION (330 dual core) with 2GB RAM in my 'cinema room' hooked
>> up to a BenQ W5000 1080p projector going onto a 140 inch screen.  I'm
>> not sure if I could be classified as a videophile - but both Blurays
>> (1080p) and DVDs look pretty darn good on it (comparable at least to
>
> Sounds very similar to here, except for the ION ;-)
>

>> my local multiplex cinema).  I suspect 1080i sports would look better
>> with the Advanced 2x deinterlacing
>
> Lots better from what I've seen, certainly worth the extra $60 graphics card, results as good as a $3k scaler/de-interlacer  from 3 > or 4 years ago. If you can afford that projector you can afford $60 for a GT220 to soup up the ION assuming it's got a suitable slot, > once you've seen advanced 2x on that setup you won't regret it.

Unfortunately the ION doesn't have a PCI-e slot.  I built myself a new
desktop this weekend (i7, 8GB RAM, etc) so was thinking of
re-purposing my old desktop into the cinema room with a new video
card. If I like Advanced 2x I'll try to 'silence it up' to make a HTPC
and put the ION in the bedroom.  The thing I like about the ION is
<30W power consumption - so if I leave the computer on for days
without using it I don't feel guilty!